Friday 3 February 2012




Ok I have a small amount of time while Saf is asleep, the eldest is at a sleepover and the middle one is at her friends for tea :-) This is a rare peaceful time for me.
I am going to try and quickly get up to date so excuse me if I don't get into any detail but so much happens every day, I am constnatly playing catch up on here :-).
Saf and I were only out of hospital for one night, the photo above shows her fast asleep in her new bed which she is still in and loves. The midwife came out the next day to check us both over and found that Saf had gone down in weight from her birth weight of 8 lb 8 to 7lb 6, because she had lost more than 10 percent of her birth weight she told us that we had to go back into hospital, once again my emotions were shook and all I can say is thank god for my mum. She was an absolute rock and there is no way I would of got through this without her. She took us back into hospital and had my 2 eldest girls for the next few days.
When we arrived back in hospital it was found that Saf had hyperglycemia and hypothermia. I really didn't think I could take anymore, my hormones were all over and I was exhausted.
The NICO unit nurses came and monitored her in the maternity unit with me. I don't think I have ever cried or felt so useless in my life, I was so frightened that something was going to happen to Sapphire I just didn't think I could deal with it. The staff at hospital were absolutely amazing and soon Sapphire was gaining weight, they finally let us go home on  Friday 6th January.
I was still really nervous about her weight and paranoid, I wrote everything down, the times she fed, her temperature and what was in her nappies. This was all new to me and I was determining to continue breast feeding her as babies with down syndrome have a lower immune system.

The girls were ecstatic to have us home but were also a little nervous that we would have to go back in.
The midwife came out the next day and I asked her if she was aware that Sapphire had a separate weight chart because of being Downs, and she wasn't aware of this and neither of the others were, also they weren't aware that Saf wouldn't put weight on as quickly as other babies. The midwife who came out was lovely but it was just a lack of education. Waiting to have Sapphire was worse than I used to feel waiting to get on the scales at weight watchers :-).

To bring you upto speed, Sapphire has now had her heart scan and she hasn't got any of the defects associated with Downs but we have to wait until next January to see if she has a hole in her heart. If the hole is big enough they will operate but it will only be keyhole surgery and it will be done when she is 3 and she will only have to stay in hospital for 2 days. Her hearing is responsive so everything is positive
 

No comments:

Post a Comment